Do you work at a public library? Use this space to find and share ideas for TTW programs that are hosted through public libraries!

Views: 2280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have 5 branches and are trying to find great programming for each. We have a tour of SEI (http://www.solarenergy.org/) planned for Wednesday, March 11th. Their Solar in Schools person is bringing Solar Rollers (http://www.solarenergy.org/solar-rollers-rc-cars) to a program for another branch but we don't know if we will be doing it at the library or being able to access the high school. Tentatively we have a drone program set up. Other ideas are to do the hour of code thing. Our big challenge is transportation for the teens. We are a rural district so distances are long and there is no public transportation.

The Livingston Parish Library will host a 3d robot design workshop.  Participants will construct their mini robot body from parts pre-printed on our 3D printer then learn to design and print their customized robot heads.

Our library is located in a small community that has LOTS of opportunities for teens so we tend to limit our programming to one program for teen tech week so that said, and with there being so many cool things that can be done with the theme, our bulletin board will feature sample DIY projects and take home instructions will be available.

We started our 3D Printer build and hit a snag with two of the bearings! Oh, no! Here's hoping we can get new ones from Airwolf quickly! ^__^

Attachments:

Best of luck with this! Aloha, Soos808

At the East Hartford Public Library in East Hartford, CT, we celebrated Teen Tech Week with three programs. We started with string wrapped earbuds - I saw this project on Pinterest and thought I would use some of the earbuds we had for sale at the library, combined with embroidery floss. The teens loved customizing their own earbuds, and it's a simple process - just like making a friendship bracelet.

On March 14th ( 3.14...pi day) we had Raspberry Pi day, where we had two Raspberry Pi's out for them to look at and play with - they also played with Scratch and learned a little bit about that program.

Our final event takes place this afternoon. We are having a stop motion animation workshop, using iPads and a free stop motion app. We have different props for the teens to use including legos, play doh, candies, markers and paper. We're giving them time to create a storyline (working in teams), and then time to take their photos in the app. It is super easy to use and a lot of fun to see the finished product. You can check out the videos on our YouTube channel - We will be uploading the videos that the teens make soon. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRWm_TRyRhS-b6tuXkLykQ 

Many of my participants came from me visiting the local middle school and standing in the checkout line in the school library. I handed out flyers with our programs and TTW bookmarks to 6 classes during their library time.

I'm pleased with the turnout for my very first Teen Tech Week!

RSS

Celebrate technology for teens at your library this March with YALSA! #ttw14

Perks for TTW Site Members

By joining this site, you're eligible for these benefits & resources:

• FREE webinars on 1/21 (leveraging partnerships), 2/5 (DIY theme activity ideas) and 3/12 (measuring program outcomes & impact).
  • updates about grant opportunities
  • materials from TTW Partners, such as database trials, books and more.

Forum

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Jan E.V.W. Hanson, Longview Public LIbrary

Started by Tiffany Williams in Sample Title Mar 16. 0 Replies

Name & Name of Library: Jan E.V.W. Hanson, Youth Services Librarian, Longview Public LibraryProject Name: Raspberry Pi CampProject Description: Raspberry Pi Camp will introduce this credit…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Amy K. Marshall, Craig Public Library

Name & Name of Library: Amy K. Marshall at The Craig Public LibraryProject Name: New Dimensions in DYI -- Let’s Build a 3D Printer!Project Description: Starting Saturday, March 8th, teens from…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Kristen Curé and LuCinda Gustavson, Springfield Public Library

Name & Name of Library: Kristen Curé and LuCinda Gustavson, Springfield Public Library, Springfield, OregonProject Name: Raspberry Pi DayProject Description: Raspberry Pi Day will be a hands-on…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Caroline Aversano, West Windsor Branch

Name & Name of Library: Caroline Aversano, West Windsor Branch, Mercer County (NJ) Library SystemProject Name: Exploring Arduino Project Description: A beginner’s course in open source Arduino…Continue

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Self-Directed Programs: Scavenger Hunts

An amazing way to get your tweens and teens to know the “unfamiliar” bits of your library is to do self-directed scavenger hunts. You know that your “kids” tend to congregate to one particular area- whether it’s your teen space, … Continue reading

Teen Tech Week: Self-Directed Contests

I am completely in love with self-directed contests. Also known as passive programming (which always leads my superiors to think that there is NO thought or work involved at all, which is not true), these self-directed contests get teens involved … Continue reading

TTW: Start with What You’ve Got

Feel less than tech savvy? Concerned that you are not techie enough to pull off a Teen Tech week program? Well, don’t be! While it is fantastic to have the double bonus of offering coding or robotics during Teen Tech … Continue reading

Groups

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

© 2014   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service