Do you work at a public library? Use this space to find and share ideas for TTW programs that are hosted through public libraries!

Views: 4800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Library friends,

Is anyone doing food/snacks with teens during TTW? If so what are you doing? How are you incorporating this, "Brownies and Books" etc.? Ideas?

I'm on a budget as many of you are, and when we have snacks I get 40 to 50 kids pronto! We use to have popcorn day but our funds run low and I don't want to make the programs food oriented to just get teens in the door.

I provide snacks, but I only give them a snack bag of chips and a soft drink or capri sun.   I generally do not give them more unless I do a game which requires a lot of moving... For instance I did a Just Dance Wii night which I bought bottles of water for. 

We have 5 branches and are trying to find great programming for each. We have a tour of SEI (http://www.solarenergy.org/) planned for Wednesday, March 11th. Their Solar in Schools person is bringing Solar Rollers (http://www.solarenergy.org/solar-rollers-rc-cars) to a program for another branch but we don't know if we will be doing it at the library or being able to access the high school. Tentatively we have a drone program set up. Other ideas are to do the hour of code thing. Our big challenge is transportation for the teens. We are a rural district so distances are long and there is no public transportation.

The Livingston Parish Library will host a 3d robot design workshop.  Participants will construct their mini robot body from parts pre-printed on our 3D printer then learn to design and print their customized robot heads.

Our library is located in a small community that has LOTS of opportunities for teens so we tend to limit our programming to one program for teen tech week so that said, and with there being so many cool things that can be done with the theme, our bulletin board will feature sample DIY projects and take home instructions will be available.

We started our 3D Printer build and hit a snag with two of the bearings! Oh, no! Here's hoping we can get new ones from Airwolf quickly! ^__^

Attachments:

Best of luck with this! Aloha, Soos808

At the East Hartford Public Library in East Hartford, CT, we celebrated Teen Tech Week with three programs. We started with string wrapped earbuds - I saw this project on Pinterest and thought I would use some of the earbuds we had for sale at the library, combined with embroidery floss. The teens loved customizing their own earbuds, and it's a simple process - just like making a friendship bracelet.

On March 14th ( 3.14...pi day) we had Raspberry Pi day, where we had two Raspberry Pi's out for them to look at and play with - they also played with Scratch and learned a little bit about that program.

Our final event takes place this afternoon. We are having a stop motion animation workshop, using iPads and a free stop motion app. We have different props for the teens to use including legos, play doh, candies, markers and paper. We're giving them time to create a storyline (working in teams), and then time to take their photos in the app. It is super easy to use and a lot of fun to see the finished product. You can check out the videos on our YouTube channel - We will be uploading the videos that the teens make soon. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRWm_TRyRhS-b6tuXkLykQ 

Many of my participants came from me visiting the local middle school and standing in the checkout line in the school library. I handed out flyers with our programs and TTW bookmarks to 6 classes during their library time.

I'm pleased with the turnout for my very first Teen Tech Week!

Does anyone know if they will be selling the larger posters and bookmarks? I saw the ALA store does not have any posted. Thanks!

If all goes well, we are ordering some mini-quadricopters for a "Game of Drones" program. Teens will learn how to pilot a mini-drone with a camera kit onboard, and navigate it through an obstacle course, take a picture of a sign that is too far away to read, then bring it back and upload the image.

We're also hoping to get a set of ANKI cars, which are mini cars that can be operated based on an app on any mobile device.

If you're gonna dream, dream big!

http://readingpubliclibrary.org/teens/It's a party!  Check out what we have planned for TTW'16!

It's a TTW , Women's History Month mashup at Pikes Peak Library District's Make @ East program as we celebrate Women in Tech. Teen participants will challenge themselves in Bristle Bot Bowling and Air Cannon Accuracy. These are engineering challenges from the Society of Women Engineers' website. We are working to get some real-live ladies of engineering to visit us during the event. Next task: print the mini bowling pins on our Afinia 3d printer. Very thankful that some kind soul on Thingiverse shared a design for bowling pins!

RSS

Encourages teens to visit the library to use all of the great digital resources offered to make a change in their life and community. #TTW17

Perks for TTW Site Members

By joining this site, you're eligible for these benefits & resources:

• Free digital download of themed posters, bookmarks, and more!
  • Free access to archived webinars and opportunities to participate in an upcoming Teen Tech Week webinar
  • updates about grant opportunities
  • materials from TTW Partners, such as database trials, books and more.

Teen Book Finder Database

Forum

Passive Program

Started by Valerie Gilbert in Sample Title. Last reply by Amy Ojserkis Mar 6. 1 Reply

Any ideas for a TTW passive program? We're a small branch and get a handful of teens.ThanksContinue

Successful High School Programs

Started by Karen Abraham in Sample Title. Last reply by Amy Ojserkis Feb 27. 4 Replies

I have always struggled to get a large turnout at my high school for teen tech week.  Any suggestions on how to draw them in?  Any ideas that have worked for other high school libraries?  Thanks!Continue

Tags: school, high

What are your planning for your public library for TTW 2017?

Started by Carla Avitabile in Sample Title. Last reply by Carla Avitabile Feb 27. 3 Replies

I have always felt that TTW can be many things. So many in fact it can be hard to focus on on aspect or another even when there is a theme. The public library where I work is located in a school…Continue

Open Source Media

Started by Dawn Abron in Sample Title Feb 6. 0 Replies

Teen Tech Week 2017 includes coding.  If you are looking for coding sites/activities for your programming, check out this article on…Continue

Tags: Coding

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Instagram of the Week – March 14

A brief look at ‘grams of interest to engage teens and librarians navigating this social media platform. Last week from March 6-12 marked this year’s “Create it at your library” Teen Tech Week celebration. Sponsored by YALSA, this yearly initiative aims to connect teens and libraries, and encourage teens to make use … Continue reading

Create it at Your Library: Preparing for Teen Tech Week 2016

Teen Tech Week is YALSA’s yearly initiative encouraging libraries to engage their teen community with resources that enhance their digital literacy skills. During March 6-12, libraries across the country will be buzzing with tech programs, STEM activities, and will be showcasing their digital resources with pride. Not only does this … Continue reading

Teen Creative Writing & Art Contest for Teen Tech Week

As part of Teen Tech Week, YALSA is teaming up with the Connected Learning Alliance, Deviant Art, the National Writing Project, and Wattpad for the Twist Fate challenge. The challenge is to get young people (ages 13-17) telling stories about what happens when a hero becomes a villain, or a … Continue reading

Groups

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

© 2017   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service