Do you work at a public library? Use this space to find and share ideas for TTW programs that are hosted through public libraries!

Views: 5938

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Teen Advisory Board is sponsoring a contest inviting teens to express their "secret geek" through photography, art, or writing.  The subject can be whatever teens geek out about, and the prize is a $25 Visa gift card.  We're also having Mario Night, celebrating the legendary Nintendo character with tournaments and games, and an iPod music party, where teens can share their music and listen while they make tech crafts.  It should be a fun week!

I'm planning on a movie night (maybe an older movie like the first Mission Impossible that was SOOOO high tech when it came out but is laughable ancient to teens now) and do a Mystery Science Theater 3000/Rifftrax take on it. 

We usually do a craft during our movie nights; right now we might be creating our own bracelets with cording and beads, or decorating hacky sacks. Or maybe a duct tape craft, if I can get my hands on enough rolls, and create wallets or mp3 holders. Not techy, but it fits what we could afford in the budget, especially since we're having a big Hunger Games program at the end of the month for the movie release.  :-D 

I'm also planning on having a meme contest, using pictures that I've selected from the meme generator and having teens create their own captions. 

I'm actually looking into a program that I read about in the latest issue of VOYA.  It's called MuVChat, and it allows movie viewers to text in comments about the movie and have them appear on screen.  (www.muvchat.com)  As a MST3K fan, I'm pretty excited about it.  At this point, we're only in the program testing stages-haven't hosted an actual event yet.  So I cannot speak to the success of the program as of yet.  But I'm hoping to launch it during TTW to see how it goes. The program filters out any obscenities that might try to sneak through.  There are costs involved, so just something to be aware of should you look into hosting an event like this.  Just wanted to share!  :)

We plan to have a desk where our teens help patrons use their technological devices--e-readers, i-pods, i-pads, cameras, cell phones, etc.  At the end of the week, I will have a teen craft--just not sure what yet!  Maybe something from old CDs.   

The Berne Public Library will be hosting a Retro Gaming Night. The systems include Atiri, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo(Thanks to my kids.) I have to drag out some old tv's for the evening and set up stations for each system. The library will also have a display of tech books.

I have a short display but the teens on our Weds night will be collaborating on our online libguide for comics! I didn't receive the Tech Resource Pack though. Boo!

Teen Tech Week falls in the midst of our annual "Read Like A Geek" non-fiction reading program for kids and teens (every March with prizes from ThinkGeek). That Friday is Pi-Einstein Day, where we all get together at the library for pizza (pie), pie (pie), and a science presentation (pi). I'm crossing my fingers about a certain grant, but, failing that, we'll be conducting a book trailer making contest and a stop motion animation contest for the teens anyway. Still hopeful for the grant, though. ;-)

Using a Ready Animator and iPad, we will be doing a Stop Animation for Teens program. Teens will work together to create an animated commercial that promotes our upcoming summer reading theme! We have had great success with our stop animation programs before. We will also have displays that promote our teen e-book, e-magazine, and e-audio collections.

I am going to have my teens create a book trailer for their favorite books using Animoto.  You can create free 30 second videos using this.  Its a great way to incorporate technology and books.  I will also raffle off some prizes (we have virtually no budget) such as candy bars, an ARC, and probably a small gift card (haven't decided where yet).

I am also interested in using Animoto to create book trailers with our teens. What images do you use for the trailers? I know that YALSA uses Animoto to create trailers for Teens' Top Ten but are the cover of a book copyrighted?

That is a really good question, here is a link that discusses this further  http://blog.librarylaw.com/librarylaw/2008/08/book-jackets--.html.

However, you could also just remind teens to only use the images that are available on Animoto.  For instance, for a Harry Potter theme book trailer, the teens could always use a picture of a snowy owl, or a wand...  However, I know we use the book covers for displays all the time. 

There are also free (and paid) music and sound effect sites. My personal favorite paid site is Sounddogs (dot com) where you can get neat sound effects for as little as $1.25.  A friend of mine and I did an enhanced audio-story for Halloween last year. I got most of the music from here: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/kevin_macleod/ and his music is very atmospheric (okay, okay, so it was a Carnacki The Ghost Finder homage), but there are lots of artists working under freemusicarchive. Just make sure you credit the sources.

RSS

Encourage teens to take advantage of all the great digital tools offered through the library to become content creators! #TTW18

Forum

VRP Program Ends

Started by Kelly Dennison in Sample Title Jul 9. 0 Replies

We had a wonderful Vocational Reading Program here in Meigs, GA.  We had a lot fun but getting ready for back to school again.  Just wondering how the other libraries are feeling about their…Continue

Teen Tech Week: Lego WeDo 2.0

Started by Ruma Gonzales in Sample Title Mar 21. 0 Replies

Learn how to make the rover and program it using an iPad to respond to sensors and make sounds and different color LED lights. It is a 4-week session. Supplies will be provided. Limited space.Continue

Teen Tech Week @ ECHS

Started by Stacie Maples in Sample Title Mar 8. 0 Replies

Our Kids "creating" in the library this week.…Continue

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Call for Volunteers for the Reenvisioning TRW/TTW Taskforce

On September 24th the YALSA board approved a Board Document that calls for the formation of a taskforce to reenvision the Teen Tech Week and Teen Read Week initiatives and create a larger advocacy/awareness campaign to promote the importance of year-round teen services. If you are interested in being a… Continue reading

Teen Tech Week: Four Steampunk Ideas

Teen Tech Week is finally here! “Libraries are for Creating” is a good theme for to introducing teens to Steampunk. Steampunk is not “punk” at all; the science fiction author, K.W. Jeter made up the word in the 1980’s. Think of it as science fiction meets Victorian Age. Jeter coined… Continue reading

Teen Tech Week: 9 Activities for Creating at Your Library

This year’s Teen Tech Week theme, “Libraries are for Creating,” highlights how teens can combine technology and creativity to create some truly unique products.  The ideas and resources here make for great program activities this Teen Tech Week and any time of the year. Paper Circuits This low-tech, low-cost project… Continue reading

Groups

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service