So, how are you supposed to celebrate Teen Tech Week if you don't have access to the latest technologies?
One program that my library has been running each March for the past five years is a Teen Choice Awards that focuses on media other than books like video games, movies, music and TV series. We raffle off prizes like USB flashdrives and earbuds, and advertise our website and other social networking efforts. We use write-in paper ballots, and I as I go through them all I learn A TON about what our teens are playing, watching and listening too. The results are a huge help with collection development.

What are your favorite low and no-tech programs?

Tags: low-tech, no-tech, programming, tech, teen, week

Views: 3818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing this, Donna.  I like it so much, I think I'll let the librarians at our other branches know so we can all do it!

That's great to hear! I think the music is always the most enlightening category. There are always a few artists who I've never even heard of before.

I'm planning a QR code scavenger hunt. Complete the hunt, and you get a candy bar and are entered to win a book.

We're doing something similar at my library. I'll be writing a blog post about it later this week. I really like your idea to give away a book - great way to tie technology to traditional print!

Do your kids have smart phones?  We tried doing this and found that most kids didn't have smart phones yet, but it was a year ago.

I had the same problem when I did the QR Code Scavenger Hunt. Not enough of my kids had/have smart phones. This year I am going to do a paper scavenger hunt that takes the teens on a tour of our digital/remote services. This allows everyone to participate not just the smart phone users.

I'm thinking of doing a similar scavenger hunt, but I've just started working as a YA Librarian and I'm having trouble coming up with questions that would be good for teens.  Any ideas you'd be willing to share?

I am not sure what databases/digital services you have at your library or how they are organized on your web pages but here are some of the questions:

1) What resource would you use if you wanted to find literary criticism about Alice Walker? (Hint: Check in either "Books and Reading" or "Student Resources.")

2) What is the name of the resource that offers information about college scholarships, careers, financial aid, and student loans? (Hint: Check "Student Resources.")

3) You need to form an argument for or against banning books. What resource has arguments for and against? (Hint: Check "Student Resources" or "Political and Social Issues.")

4) What resource would you use if you wanted to find a book that is similar to The Hunger Games? (Hint: Go to "Books and Reading." Double hint: "Readers Advisory" means helping you find titles similar to other things you have read and liked.)

I can post more if you want just say the word.

These are great!  Thanks for the assist :)

We made QR codes for new blog entries, videos we psoted to youtube, photos from programs we posted to flickr (you could use Instagram or facebook, too),  and twitter links. We'd put a secret phrase in a tweet, for instance, and they would need to follow the QR code to get the phrase and write it out on their scoresheet. Here's a post I wrote about the Hunt: http://nileslibya.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/check-in-with-our-qr-cod...

I want to plan a QR scavenger hunt too! How did you get started? I've never done anything like this before. I would love any insight you can share!

I did this with my teens, and it's been interesting...  I took ideas from http://www.thedaringlibrarian.com/2011/03/qr-code-quest-library-sca... with huge permission and used codes that had them moving all over the library. Fiction, YA, magazines, and tied it in to culture (what Stephen King book was recently made into a movie, etc?)....

Those that didn't have smart phones we let use our tablets that are for library use only.

Attachments:

RSS

Celebrate technology for teens at your library this March with YALSA! #ttw14

Perks for TTW Site Members

By joining this site, you're eligible for these benefits & resources:

• FREE webinars on 1/21 (leveraging partnerships), 2/5 (DIY theme activity ideas) and 3/12 (measuring program outcomes & impact).
  • updates about grant opportunities
  • materials from TTW Partners, such as database trials, books and more.

Forum

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Jan E.V.W. Hanson, Longview Public LIbrary

Started by Tiffany Williams in Sample Title Mar 16. 0 Replies

Name & Name of Library: Jan E.V.W. Hanson, Youth Services Librarian, Longview Public LibraryProject Name: Raspberry Pi CampProject Description: Raspberry Pi Camp will introduce this credit…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Amy K. Marshall, Craig Public Library

Name & Name of Library: Amy K. Marshall at The Craig Public LibraryProject Name: New Dimensions in DYI -- Let’s Build a 3D Printer!Project Description: Starting Saturday, March 8th, teens from…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Kristen Curé and LuCinda Gustavson, Springfield Public Library

Name & Name of Library: Kristen Curé and LuCinda Gustavson, Springfield Public Library, Springfield, OregonProject Name: Raspberry Pi DayProject Description: Raspberry Pi Day will be a hands-on…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Caroline Aversano, West Windsor Branch

Name & Name of Library: Caroline Aversano, West Windsor Branch, Mercer County (NJ) Library SystemProject Name: Exploring Arduino Project Description: A beginner’s course in open source Arduino…Continue

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Loading… Loading feed

Groups

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About