So, how are you supposed to celebrate Teen Tech Week if you don't have access to the latest technologies?
One program that my library has been running each March for the past five years is a Teen Choice Awards that focuses on media other than books like video games, movies, music and TV series. We raffle off prizes like USB flashdrives and earbuds, and advertise our website and other social networking efforts. We use write-in paper ballots, and I as I go through them all I learn A TON about what our teens are playing, watching and listening too. The results are a huge help with collection development.

What are your favorite low and no-tech programs?

Tags: low-tech, no-tech, programming, tech, teen, week

Views: 3897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are many ways to do a QR code scavenger hunt. I did a pretty straight forward one for my teens 2 years ago; and have attached the document so you can see if that would fit your needs/time frame. Also I love what Christie,  did with her hunt. The biggest problem I had was that a lot of my kids didn't (and still don't) have smart phones, I notice Christie dealt with that problem by allowing teens to use her library's ipads. I encouraged my teens to partner up with someone who had a smart phone but still didn't get many takers...

Attachments:

This is my first go at teen programming. We're going to raffle off an MP3 player and have a meme contest (thanks for the idea, YASLA!). We're also going to do an old tech upcycling project - transforming cassettes into wallets. I love the Teen Choice Awards idea! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for sharing the cassette wallets- that sounds like a really neat idea. I'd love to see pictures!

No problem! Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.chezlin.com/pursebag/cassette-tape-tutorial/.

This looks great!

My favorite low tech program is techno jewelry. We smash apart an old computer and make jewelry out of the parts with a hot glue gun. Over the years I realized that most kids have never seen the inside of a computer.  

SLJ

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing!

I did this one last year!  Great idea and the teens loved showing me their favorite YouTube sites (all suprisingly appropriate).

We're thinking of tech cozies--knitted phone holders mostly. Or sewn ones. 

One great inexpensive way to make tech cozies is to make them out of spent mountain bike tire tubes. You can usually get these free from your local bike shop. Then you just cut the tubes in half along the length, and wash (tubes have a chalky substance on the interior). I usually do this before the program or have a volunteer prep them for me. From there you just measure the amount of tube needed using the cell phone as a guide. Sew up the sides and decorate using rubber stamps (permanent ink stamp pad needed) or use paint pens.

Another cheap craft using tubes is tire tube cuffs, earrings etc. Easy, and cheap. See photos (they are from a craft book from a workshop I did for teen librarians for BAYA).

I like the idea of doing a raffle for prizes.  What do you put on the write-in paper ballots?

Hi Donna J,

Here's a copy of our ballot from last year:

-Donna B :)

What a wonderful idea!

Our YA and J materials share a room & we unfortunately don't have a teen area to host programming, but this is something we could do!  

RSS

Connect teens to technology at your library this March with YALSA! #TTW15

Perks for TTW Site Members

By joining this site, you're eligible for these benefits & resources:

• Free digital download of themed posters, bookmarks, and more!
  • Free access to archived webinars and opportunities to participate in upcoming TTW related webinars.
  • updates about grant opportunities
  • materials from TTW Partners, such as database trials, books and more.

Forum

Public Library Programs

Started by YALSA in Uncategorized. Last reply by Janae Pitts-Murdock yesterday. 32 Replies

Do you work at a public library? Use this space to find and share ideas for TTW programs that are hosted through public libraries!Continue

Teen Tech Week 2015 Program Ideas

Started by YALSA in Sample Title. Last reply by Janae Pitts-Murdock yesterday. 1 Reply

Please share your ideas on program ideas for the 2015 theme.Continue

School Libaries

Started by Carla Avitabile in Sample Title Nov 28. 0 Replies

Many of us in the public library sector are always looking for ways to partner with public schools. Teen Tech Week is a perfect time to make those connections. We all have a similar mission, and that…Continue

Let's talk about FAIL...

Started by Jaina Lewis in Sample Title Nov 25. 0 Replies

A new way of looking at the word FAIL is to define it as "first attempt…Continue

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Self-Directed Programs: Scavenger Hunts

An amazing way to get your tweens and teens to know the “unfamiliar” bits of your library is to do self-directed scavenger hunts. You know that your “kids” tend to congregate to one particular area- whether it's your teen space, a place with the most comfortable chairs or a low table for card gaming, or Read More →

Teen Tech Week: Self-Directed Contests

I am completely in love with self-directed contests. Also known as passive programming (which always leads my superiors to think that there is NO thought or work involved at all, which is not true), these self-directed contests get teens involved because they are: drawn into the library by the contest itself ask the staff questions Read More →

TTW: Start with What You've Got

Feel less than tech savvy? Concerned that you are not techie enough to pull off a Teen Tech week program? Well, don't be! While it is fantastic to have the double bonus of offering coding or robotics during Teen Tech Week (March 9-15)' the reality is that many of us do not have the skills, budgets, Read More →

Groups

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

© 2014   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service