What outcomes are people setting for TTW?  What is it that they want the teens to learn or achieve?  How will that be measured and shared out?  What issues are people experiencing around measuring outcomes and what resources, advice or tips do you have to share?

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like my teens to know how to evaluate websites, how to use other electronic resources for information (like databases, organization, institution and governmental websites) instead of Google, how to use social media to create a positive image of themselves, and how to use different Web tools that could make them more marketable.  

I have used various website evaluation sheets so that students can begin to evaluate websites.  I still need to reinforce this school, as some of our teens still believe the hype of some hoax websites.  

I have given assignments to introduce students to our state databases.  Again, students will need additional instruction and reinforcement of this skill.

I have taught some units on digital citizenship which, at the minimum level, have students thinking about their digital image.  Although a few could care less about their digital image, more are beginning to care about their digital image.  These are the students who plan to attend a big college or university or are seeking employment.  These students want to make sure that they portray a positive image online.

I introduced students to Wordle(wordle.net) and some students know Prezi (prezi.com).  I'd like students to learn more tools, but some of these tools are blocked.  However, I will introduce alternative tools to students that are not blocked.  

I look at it as  a learning process for both the teens and the library staff. Teens are great at innovation and helping others when it comes to technology. Teens love to show others what they know about ipads, cell phones, games on the computer and more. Teens also love to show others how to play chess, checkers, Uno and board games not all Teens have come in contact with. I've learned a few things from my teens in the computer age of gaming.

One thing I've noticed is that some teens may be reluctant at first. But when they see other teens helping with technology they want to jump right in. I supply what resources I can in the service of the library setting and let them discover and achieve. I always say "Give it a try" and if they don't it's ok too. I think just getting them in the library and setting the example, showing what's available to them get the spark going!

RSS

Celebrate technology for teens at your library this March with YALSA! #ttw14

Perks for TTW Site Members

By joining this site, you're eligible for these benefits & resources:

• FREE webinars on 1/21 (leveraging partnerships), 2/5 (DIY theme activity ideas) and 3/12 (measuring program outcomes & impact).
  • updates about grant opportunities
  • materials from TTW Partners, such as database trials, books and more.

Forum

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Jan E.V.W. Hanson, Longview Public LIbrary

Started by Tiffany Williams in Sample Title Mar 16. 0 Replies

Name & Name of Library: Jan E.V.W. Hanson, Youth Services Librarian, Longview Public LibraryProject Name: Raspberry Pi CampProject Description: Raspberry Pi Camp will introduce this credit…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Amy K. Marshall, Craig Public Library

Name & Name of Library: Amy K. Marshall at The Craig Public LibraryProject Name: New Dimensions in DYI -- Let’s Build a 3D Printer!Project Description: Starting Saturday, March 8th, teens from…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Kristen Curé and LuCinda Gustavson, Springfield Public Library

Name & Name of Library: Kristen Curé and LuCinda Gustavson, Springfield Public Library, Springfield, OregonProject Name: Raspberry Pi DayProject Description: Raspberry Pi Day will be a hands-on…Continue

Teen Tech Week Grant Winner: Caroline Aversano, West Windsor Branch

Name & Name of Library: Caroline Aversano, West Windsor Branch, Mercer County (NJ) Library SystemProject Name: Exploring Arduino Project Description: A beginner’s course in open source Arduino…Continue

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Groups

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.