What outcomes are people setting for TTW?  What is it that they want the teens to learn or achieve?  How will that be measured and shared out?  What issues are people experiencing around measuring outcomes and what resources, advice or tips do you have to share?

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like my teens to know how to evaluate websites, how to use other electronic resources for information (like databases, organization, institution and governmental websites) instead of Google, how to use social media to create a positive image of themselves, and how to use different Web tools that could make them more marketable.  

I have used various website evaluation sheets so that students can begin to evaluate websites.  I still need to reinforce this school, as some of our teens still believe the hype of some hoax websites.  

I have given assignments to introduce students to our state databases.  Again, students will need additional instruction and reinforcement of this skill.

I have taught some units on digital citizenship which, at the minimum level, have students thinking about their digital image.  Although a few could care less about their digital image, more are beginning to care about their digital image.  These are the students who plan to attend a big college or university or are seeking employment.  These students want to make sure that they portray a positive image online.

I introduced students to Wordle(wordle.net) and some students know Prezi (prezi.com).  I'd like students to learn more tools, but some of these tools are blocked.  However, I will introduce alternative tools to students that are not blocked.  

I look at it as  a learning process for both the teens and the library staff. Teens are great at innovation and helping others when it comes to technology. Teens love to show others what they know about ipads, cell phones, games on the computer and more. Teens also love to show others how to play chess, checkers, Uno and board games not all Teens have come in contact with. I've learned a few things from my teens in the computer age of gaming.

One thing I've noticed is that some teens may be reluctant at first. But when they see other teens helping with technology they want to jump right in. I supply what resources I can in the service of the library setting and let them discover and achieve. I always say "Give it a try" and if they don't it's ok too. I think just getting them in the library and setting the example, showing what's available to them get the spark going!

RSS

Connect teens to technology and art at your library this March with YALSA! #TTW16

Perks for TTW Site Members

By joining this site, you're eligible for these benefits & resources:

• Free digital download of themed posters, bookmarks, and more!
  • Free access to archived webinars and opportunities to participate in the upcoming Teen Tech Week webinar on Tues., Dec. 15 about planning project-based learning opportunities for teens
  • updates about grant opportunities
  • materials from TTW Partners, such as database trials, books and more.

Forum

Tabletop TTT Teasers to introduce inspiring teen tech entrepreneurs

Started by Sheri Levasseur in Sample Title. Last reply by Joanna Nelson Jan 21. 3 Replies

I just finished making a handful of 5x7 teen tech entrepeneur bios complete with # and handles for teens to follow for more info. I also included reminders to take our HS engineering classes. I will…Continue

Games systems for teens to use.

Started by Angelica Torres in Sample Title. Last reply by Aaron Volner Jan 20. 1 Reply

We just received a couple of game systems. We have never had them before. Any tips on how to handle having the game systems out during one of the TTW days? Thanks so much!!Continue

"Gaming" at the Library

Started by Aaron Volner in Sample Title. Last reply by Beth Alyea Jan 19. 5 Replies

This year our library…Continue

self-directed activity ideas ?

Started by Mollie Mulligan in Sample Title. Last reply by Aaron Volner Jan 6. 2 Replies

We have a few very sizable week-long programs planned but are still looking for something that we can leave out all week long.Thoughts? Ideas? So far I considering one of the following but am not…Continue

Tags: activities, self-directed

Members

TTW Posts from YALSABlog

Teen Creative Writing & Art Contest for Teen Tech Week

As part of Teen Tech Week, YALSA is teaming up with the Connected Learning Alliance, Deviant Art, the National Writing Project, and Wattpad for the Twist Fate challenge. The challenge is to get young people (ages 13-17) telling stories about what happens when a hero becomes a villain, or a … Continue reading

How are you preparing for Teen Tech Week?

Teen Tech Week is right around the corner and we all know that it takes a ton of planning to make this short week awesome. We also know that not all of our teens geek out with the techy stuff. How do you geek out for teen tech week when … Continue reading

Self-Directed Programs: Scavenger Hunts

An amazing way to get your tweens and teens to know the “unfamiliar” bits of your library is to do self-directed scavenger hunts. You know that your “kids” tend to congregate to one particular area- whether it’s your teen space, a place with the most comfortable chairs or a low … Continue reading

Groups

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge

Loading…

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

© 2016   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service